Sunday, January 9, 2011

Weekend Recap, plus great recipe

So the bronch came and went and now with the snow and ice and everything else being like it is, who knows when I'll here anything/see Dr L. But here are two gems from my mouth during the post-op:

-The first went to my nurse in recovery that I also don't remember saying: "I met Cinderella last week at Disney World" and "My aunt works up stairs" thanks to these she started  wondering and asking if I were "special" then she was told I was just well drugged

-And the second came Friday night on the sofa to both parents "Why is plow, pronounced plowwww, but blow is pronounced blooooow they are spelt the same" my mother responded "I'm opting not to answer that"

Anyways we've been sick and still sick, and let me tell you there is absolutely nothing worse in this world than the combination of being recovering from a bronch with a severe cold. I don't know if I have EVER felt to the level of bad that I did Friday and yes that is including chemo and all. It was absolutely terrible.

Here are some pictures of snow for y'all. We had 4 inches in 2 hours at our house between 9:40 pm and 11:40 pm Sunday night.




One last thing, something I completely forgot to post last week was a new recipe that we tried and my oh my was it wonderful! They were Cheesy Lasagna Rolls and perfect, what is nice about this recipe is that you can make them to fit how many you have in your family of for a big gathering. Also two week ago Mama and I finally found the perfect Au Gratin dishes which ended up fitting two rolls perfectly. I am no where close to a hardcore measurering cook so I play everything by ear when I'm cooking. If it is baking that is a whole different ballgame.

Cheesy Lasagna Rolls

Ingredients:

Uncooked lasagna noodles
Olive oil
Ricotta cheese, with a pinch of salt and pepper added for flavor
Prepared marinara sauce (I love Ragu)
Packed baby spinach, washed well 
Shredded mozzarella

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add noodles and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and gently transfer to a clean work surface, to do this I removed the noodles gently with tongs onto paper towels I laid out on the counter so I didn't end up with the chaos in the sink that lasagna noodle bring me because of the fear of sticking

Grease small dishes or large casserole with olive oil; set aside. Working with one noodle at a time, spread with about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of the marinara (the ricotta and marinara should cover the noodle don't be concerned with the Ts) then top with 2 layers of spinach. Starting at one end, roll up noodle snugly then arrange in pan either seam-side down or with the rolls close enough together to hold each other closed. Pour remaining marinara over assembled rolls then sprinkle with mozzarella and bake until golden and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.


Tips and Changes:
-Let the kids help with this dish, it's easy, not that messy and fun.
-You could really add any vegetable or meat to this dish in either the sauce or in the wraps
-Try it with the your favorite multi-grain noodle and it was really good
-They are also great for cooking ahead and hold up well reheating

Here is a glimpse at the final product, these are seem side down




Happy Snow Day! Be Safe! 
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment